Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The 'silent' love

Woke up in the morning and found a warm and hearty breakfast waiting for Jane and I. 

Mum made us English breakfast - fried eggs, fried bacon strips, grilled tomatoes and sliced cucumbers. She even prepared papaya for us which she picked from the garden (such balanced diet!) and made us tea to go with everything else. I don't know about Jane but I certainly felt very loved~  


Our breakkie



Like many traditional Chinese parents, my parents don't speak of their love for their children. Sometimes they even say the opposite when in fact they mean other things.... Like when their friends commented that my parents have good kids (us us us! hehe), then they would say "oh no, no no no, they are very naughty. They always buy us too much food to eat. We eat until we cannot eat other things. Not good not good' That's just one of many instances :P The Chinese parents of the old days are taught to be humble. The Japanese people are the same, whenever they are being praised, they MUST deny it HARD haha... 

When I was small, I didn't understand this and always felt hurt when they said 'bad' things about me. As I grow older, I finally grew some wisdom (just a tiny teeny bit) and understood that they are just being polite! How did i understand this? From their actions of course. There is a saying "actions say louder than words'. Indeed, they do!

When my parents were on their 3-weeks getaway in Australia and New Zealand last month. I had a sudden urge of eating Maltesers. I whatsapped my dad asking him to buy one packet for me... He didn't respond and I figured he probably didn't care. Guess what? he came home with 5 packets instead of 1! hahaha.. And my mum bought me my favourite peaches along with many other stuff. My mum says I'm fat and yet she cooks big meals everyday~ And these are just a few of many instances....

Part of the presents from down under

So, never ever believe what u hear.. u gotta look inside and understand the meaning behind so u don't misunderstand ^^








3 comments:

baby jane said...

hahah, i totally agreed.

i felt loved when seeing breakfast on the table...guess what? that's how i showed my love too. i looked at the food on the table(even though i also wanted to eat out), i finished them, then had another one at the kopitiam with mum and yiyi. Burp. i really felt like having the papaya, but, there was no room for it

yeah, the things they came back from AUS and NZ are lots! even dad bought us necklace like in the olden days. hiak hiak hiak. we r lucky coz we are loved :D

LJ said...

oww~ that's so sweet! yeah, that's how our traditional dad shows their love, n action speaks louder than words.

n the best parts, the two daughters cherish & gratitude for what they have. guai~

jenn said...

hehe.. we are lucky to have our parents and our parents are lucky to have us :P