Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My "treasure" box

I was talking stars and galaxy the other day.. i think it's the word 银河社 (Yinhoo) which sent Jane down memory lane, then both of us and lj started to discuss about it haha....

When we were in primary school, we loved to read the catalogues from yinhoo. Haha, i just realised that we started our 'virtual' shopping experience at such a young age! I remember the catalogue contains a lot of stuff, from decorative to stationery, accessories to items which i have no idea what they are for. Honestly speaking, Jane and I bought a lot of cute and useless stuff from the catalogue. 

At that time, it wasn't so easy to purchase from catalogue. First, we had to wait for the catalogues to be sent to us, then filled in the order form after which we had to go to post office to buy money order and finally sending everything off via airmail. After the long processes, the waiting game started! We had to wait very patiently (it could take weeks!) for the items to reach us. 

We bought customized name cards which we didn't really give out, earrings which we never wore, bookmarks just because we liked the wordings or pictures, photos of idols which we didn't even look very often. We bought stickers because they were too cute not to buy. We bought things simply because they were too cute. I kept these in my treasure box which I still kept til now... :P

I dug out my treasure box last night. I used to have more items but when i moved around the world, I lost a few things, like the diary i wrote when i was in primary 4! :( Anyway, am still happy that i have this small treasure box with me. It holds my childhood memories... which reminded me where i had spent my hard-saved money on :P When i was small, my pocket money was 50c. Everyday, i would do a cash flow and decide how much i should save and how much i could spend. oooo looks like am destined to be a bean counter since primary school @_@


some of the treasures i've collected

These are just a small part of my treasures. Hey, the sundae and Lollipop stickers are very unique. A few scratches on their surfaces and u can smell strawberry and lollies! 

The customised name cards are at the bottom left of the picture. My friends gave me theirs in exchange for mine.

Fido dido? hahaha... We were quite crazy over this 7-up character...

My cute pencils are still "new"

Bookmarks which never got to serve their purpose :P


My tin box which can be opened both sides
got lots of stickers inside! haha...

Playing cards with popular idol, bookmarks, pencils etc


With today's technology, it's so easy to spend unnecessarily on the internet. We don't have to go through the complicated manual processes like before. With just one click on the mouse (and also typing here and there la), the vendors received our order & money. Depends on locations, we sometimes received our items the next day!  And we can look at nice pictures of the products anytime anywhere and can do shopping 24-7! That kinda explains why Jane and I (*ahem* and some of my friends too) are addicted to online shopping. Looks like some old habits are hard to quit! :P

Although there are many much nicer e-catalogues to look at, somehow i still miss Yinhoo's catalogue. So when Jane and LJ mentioned about it, the child living inside me came to live. I was so excited when LJ said her sister still buys from Yinhoo and that she will go ask for the copy to lend us! I wonder if we still have to go through the manual processes since internet is so powerful nowadays...

As i was wondering, i suddenly thought, hey, maybe i should google just to find out. guess what? i found yinhoo on internet! They even have facebook account! WOW! am so excited and immediately check the site! 

Guess what? There are still a lot of cute stuff and stuff i don't know what to do with :P love to look at the catalogues. it really brings back a lot of childhood memory!

From yinhoo's website


 I feel like buying again :P






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wa, sure got a lot of memories~ the catalogue is still the same, full of cute but useless stuff! Haha. Still loving it~ I dono, somehow yin hoo 's catalogue has an old fashioned feeling compared to others, I still like yin hoo~

Ya, I got my own box too.. Need to go home and search for my own treasure~ our happiness was so simple in the past~ a few bookmarks, pencil and stickers would make us happy.. These days things are just to easily obtained la!

When I read the first sentence of ur post, I immediately thought of the fragrance stickers.. Haha. I rememeber I bu she de scratched too often in case the smell was gone. Hahaha.. Ahh, the good old days~

jenn said...

hahaha, i know! 小时候幸福很简单,长大后简单很幸福!

Things were harder to get in the past so we cherish them like gold.... Many of us take things for granted these days as everything comes easily.. haii.. must learn to appreciate~~

i still love yinhoo too! can't believe i still see things i wanna buy! buahahaha...

LJ said...

ha ha! hou sai lei~ even found their websit n fb page, good lah! i dont need to ask from my sis...btw, i also forget about it! :P

wah~ u gals can consider become antique collector, can keep those things for decade yet still looked so new! collect antique got more market value than pencil lah~